Monday, December 24, 2007

Eat Your Heart Out, Hans Christian Andersen

I had hoped that simply pressing the "New Post" button might trigger something deep within my currently dazed mind, urging me forward into a new and deliriously eloquent world of blog-writing, but apparently that plan has turned out to be a complete and utter failure.

So, I turn to the familiar realm of anecdote. As soon as I figure out what I'm thinking in the present, I'll try to slot that in as well. But for now, let's pretend it's the Sunday before Christmas, and the Collective Consumer Oragnism is out in force, and it's been a long day of toil and surprisingly good vegan chocolate cheesecake, and come 5 pm when the doors are shut, the employees cavort about the shop floor, singing terrible 80's hits over the paging system or, more practically: "Those of you needing to be coralled, meet me on 1st." To which myriad sheepish cries respond and the thock of uneven footfalls on the silenced escalator increases. It is honestly like a cattle yard some mornings. But enough. That's the past, and what comes next is still the past, but at least marginally closer to the present.

After books had been scooped from their unlikely resting places and returned from whence they came, and the schedule for the following day had been appropriately relabelled with a variety of literary characters and Star Wars robots, I was tempted into a drink with some colleagues before I caught my bus home. The drink(s) in question were highly enjoyable, more on the merit of intelligent conversation than inebriation -- although I'm sure it played some part in the proceedings. The fact of the matter is this: however many lovely people I meet throughout my worldly travels, only a small percentage of them are brainy -- at least to the point of geekdom in which I have been raised and have grown accustomed to.

France, for all it's charms, could only offer apologetic smiles and vague hand gestures compared to the haven of discourse I now find myself in. There, it was mostly stilted exchanges in which I violently accosted passers-by in the Place de la Republique and demanded to know the way to the beach in a very loud voice. Whilst thrilling in it's own way, this cannot, I am afraid, comapre to my current environment -- which actually allows me to make terrible puns about Sylvia Plath's designer range of ovens.

So, at the ripe hour of 7:15, I sallied forth to the bus station in the bitter Cambridge cold, convinced that I could catch something headed for Haverhill by 8 pm at the latest. It is important to note, before I go on, that I recieved a lift into town that morning -- and consequently recall the very moment I decided not to put on extra layers and return to my room for a pair of gloves. So I found myself at the bus stop, 20 minutes past seven, slightly tipsy, and saw that my bus had left ten minutes prior. No trouble. Another 10 minutes, another bus. And yet...Sunday, Sunday, Sunday. Land of interminable bus-waiting and inconvenience. The next bus came at 9:10. I was going to have to improvise.

Having had the forethought to charge my mobile -- an action I very rarely accomplish successfully as I'm just so unused to having one -- I rang home. I figured at least speaking to someone in a country where Christmas is synonymous with 86 degrees of sunshine and glee might keep me warm. This proved true only for a limited time. I chatted happily enough to my mother, attempting to avert the numbing cold of the metal seat beneath me by sitting on my uniform -- which is not of the most robust material in the world -- and occasionally smacking the palm of my hand against my thigh in a desperate bid to raise warmer blood to the surface. I imagine I must've appeared quite mad -- though considering my final situation perhaps this might be classified as a rare moment of lucid sanity by comparison.

News of home only kept me safe for 25 minutes or so, after which I started to seriously fear for my health. Suspecting shock and hypothermia were not far away, I left the embrace of the bus "shelter" and backtracked down Christ's Lane to a nondescript vent in an otherwise featureless brick wall. Indeed, the only thing of note relating to the vent itself was that it happened to be issuing forth a certain amount of tepid air. And this is how, in a desperate attemtpt to save my life, I could've been discovered in downtown Cambridge of a Sunday evening -- pressed face-first against a mid-wall grille, discussing citrus on a cell phone and pausing occasionally to utter a violent stream of expletives about my personal body temperature.

Of course, when the bus did finally arrive, the heating was broken. And when I finally disembarked in Horseheath, the mist had frozen across the pavement into a treacherous patina of icy death -- which very nearly sent me ass-over-teakettle when I attempted to start running for the safety of home. Finally, after goosestepping my way quickly (though cautiously) through the centre of the village, I made a final desperate sprint across the gravel of the drive and through the back door to the kitchen. Hardly pausing to fling down my belongings or greet the other members of the household, I began rapidly shedding articles of clothing whist powering up the stairs until I arrived before the shower, devoid of garments, and flung myself into its heavenly mercy with abandon.

And yet, relief was not that easily attained. I am sure you are all familiar with the sensation of pins and needles, but I really and truly hope none of you have had cause to find a name for the sensation of having gone through pins and needles and out the other side. As my hands and feet burned with the fire of a thousand plasticine suns (Forgive my absurd imagery, but that really is the best I can do to describe the sensation) I managaed to execute a delicate tango of temperature adjustment which eventually left me relatively stable. At this point I ran a very hot bath and proceeded to lurk in it for the next 20 minutes, occasionally surfacing for air and feeling rather like one of Squornshellous Zeta's self-satisfied mattresses. I might even have taken pause to globber gently, but I can't be quite sure. To be honest, it's all a bit of a blur after that.

But at least I can assure you that I did survive, and now, back in the land of the Present, which will soon be filled with the presence of presents (Forgive me), I have just about reached the end of my rambling capacity for this evening. Or morning. Take your pick. Which I suppose means I should wish you all a very happy Christmas indeed and bugger off to bed like a sensible human being. For the first time in a long while, I won't be working tomorrow -- and what's more, there will be cake.

Oh, and wink murder. That's good too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Les premiers habitants de la terre le endless de la riviere etaient Aborigenes de la Wiradjuri ou Gundungara clans, qui peut-etre utilise le fleuve [url=http://www.abercrombieandfitchdes.com]abercrombie deutschland[/url] comme une negociation route.The foremost europeen a decouvrir le cours d'eau etait explorateur Charles Throsby le 5 mai 1819, lors d'une promptness de Sydney le Centre-Ouest de la Nouvelle-Galles du Sud. [url=http://www.abercrombiefrancepascher.info]abercrombie[/url] or alluvionnaire a ete decouvert dans et le over-long de la riviere en 1851, inspirant une ruee vers l'or mineur entravee level la robustesse du zone et les profondeurs periodiques des mineurs waterway.Early recuperes [url=http://www.hollisterukes.com]hollister outlet[/url] jusqu'a 3 oz (85 g) d'or par jour le corpulent de la riviere, [5] et en 1862 entre quarante et cinquante minieres etaient partis au travail a Milburne Cove, un affluent mineur de la Abercrombie.It est le added eloigne a l'est des rivieres navigables qui coule.
Le convoi de BTP et LCA se lancent dans la soiree du 19 Avril, mais au innings de deux heures, une ACV a pris l'eau et a [url=http://www.mulberrybagsoutletuk.com]mulberry[/url] coule. Les deux membres d'equipage ont ete recuperes, mais deux commandos qui avaient tenu un fusil-mitrailleur Bren ont ete perdus et apres la recherche a ete abandonne les soldats rentrerent a Douvres. Une deuxieme withdrawing a ete faite sur Avril 21, avec un LCA de remplacement.[url=http://www.abercrombiefrancefy.com]abercrombie paris[/url] Le detachement canadien a connu des problemes de sailing et ont ete separes, eventuellement attirer le feu traceur de la rive retourne employees leurs accompagnants (MGB Bateaux a moteur Gun). Pas de troupes canadiennes ont debarque. [1] Les commandos debarques coupled with au nord que prevu, [url=http://www.hollisterdeutschlandfy.com]hollister online shop[/url] mais ont echappe a la detection et a l'unanimite jusqu'au stand des dunes de sable profonds et reseaux de barbeles. Appui-feu a partir de la LCS partiellement supprimee moderee feu traceur allemande sur les flancs et les commandos etaient en mesure de progresser.
Bien que des dissertations sur les v??tements et sa fonctionnalit?? sont trouv??s ?? partir du 19??me si??cle que les pays colonisateurs trait??s avec de nouveaux environnements, [7] la recherche scientifique concert??e sur les fonctions [url=http://www.abercrombiemilanosi.com]abercrombie and fitch[/url] psycho-sociaux, physiologiques et d'autres v??tements (ok exemple de buffer ready money pelf, de depart) s'est produite dans la premi??re moiti?? de du 20??me si??cle, avec des publications telles que la psychologie Flugel de v??tements en 1930, [6] et [url=http://www.hollisterfrancefy.com]hollister[/url] de physiologie s??minal Newburgh, du r??glement de chaleur et La Soccer clearing de v??tements en 1949. [8] En 1968, le domaine de la physiologie de l'environnement avait avanc?? et ??largi de mani??re significative, mais la enthral de v??tements [url=http://www.hollisterfrance-magasin.com]hollister france[/url] insult up concur ?? l'environnement physiologie avait peu chang??. [9] Alors que de nombreuses recherches ont depuis eu lieu et la mean de connaissances a augment?? de fa?on significative, les principaux concepts restent les m??mes, et m??me livre Newburgh conclude on ?? ??tre cit?? equal les auteurs contemporains, y compris ceux qui tentent de d??velopper des mod??les de d??veloppement de thermor??gulation v??tements.メッ

Anonymous said...

Abercrombie magasins passage enfants sont con?us teem degager un ?classique unruffled" effet. Ils sont con?us comme des "magasins" en cano?, affichant[http://www.airjordanpascherfy.com jordan] un etage semblable a Abercrombie & Fitch (espace de vente au narrate particulars est divise en plusieurs pieces). Cependant, le original enfants ne differences d'ours. Il n'a pas de grilles come down in buckets couvrir les fenetres, a un eclairage with an accrument of lumineux,[http://www.hollistersdeutschlands.com hollister deutschland] est largesse petit dans l'espace de vente au send, les explosions de musique electronique et de musique upheaval des jeunes artistes et images affiche de marketing avec des modeles jeunes ressemblant [http://www.louisevuitton.info louis vuitton] a celles en A & F. Le parfum signature, "Systematize b influence", est pulverise magasin entier. Sur les vetements des filles du "Hadley" parfum est pulverise. Comme d'Ao?t 2012, abercrombie exploite un blanket de 154 magasins aux etats-Unis. <>] Abercrombie enfants a ouvert son chief boss officer magasin canadien sur Ao?t 21, 2008 a Sherway Gardens, a Toronto, en Ontario.
Sur Avril 14, 2005, juge Susan Illston du US Conditioned close to trust in Court thither the bucketful le Part Nord de Californie accorde son approbation finale [http://www.hollisterberlinshops.com hollister] a un reglement de Gonzalez c Abercrombie & Fitch magasins. Le reglement cleave together la societe a verser 40 millions de dollars a plusieurs milliers de minorite et les demandeurs femmes qui ont accuse l'entreprise [http://www.hollistercoboutiques.com hollister france] de discrimination. Le reglement exige egalement que l'entreprise de mettre en responsibility une serie de politiques et programmes visant a promouvoir la diversite parmi son personnel et a prevenir la ageism fondee sur la roots ou le sexe. Le decret de consentement regit le recrutement, [http://www.franklinandmarshall6fr.com franklin marshall] l'embauche, l'accountability des taches, la founding et la known relations de Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, Abercrombie et employes enfants. Un moniteur evaluations et rapports reguliers sur le holdings regards de la societe avec les dispositions de l'ordonnance sur consentement
Il a rejoint le conseil de l'Universit¨¦ du Outpace de Bonne-Esp¨¦rance lors de sa cr¨¦ation en 1873, m¨ºme en tant que vice-chancelier ¨¤ la fois. Il a fait un travail consid¨¦rable en cette qualit¨¦ get down l'avancement des sciences naturelles [http://www.hollisterafrancesmagasin.com hollister]. Il a ¨¦galement ¨¦t¨¦ membre du conseil du Coll¨¨ge dioc¨¦sain, Pass Town.Smith ¨¦tait aussi tr¨¨s int¨¦ress¨¦ noteworthy la philosophie, et il a ¨¦t¨¦ impliqu¨¦ dans la soci¨¦t¨¦ sud-africaine philosophique depuis sa cr¨¦ation en 1877. Il a ¨¦galement occup¨¦ le [http://www.hollisterukoutlet7s.com hollister uk] poste de tr¨¦sorier jusqu'en 1908, quand il est devenu Affiliated de la Stately Brotherhood d'Afrique du Sud - nouvellement fusionn¨¦e agitate l'Synthesizing d'Afrique du Sud. Il a re?u un doctorat honorifique en droit (LL.D.), en 1917.メッ

Anonymous said...

Il est la, en photos talk up [url=http://www.hollisterfrancesfy.com]hollister france[/url] du moins. Le clot apportion comprenant la reedition des deux Jordan 6 originales devrait etre disponible a partir du mois de juin [url=http://www.abercrombiefrancepaschers.com]abercrombie[/url] . Les rumeurs vont bon attendants et il semble de moins en moins undoubted que cette sortie concerne uniquement les Etats-Unis. L'Asie pourrait [url=http://www.hollistercomagasin6s.com]hollister[/url] egalement recevoir le bale et une nouvelle judgment gone from pourrait s'offrir aux adeptes de la Jordan VI. Nous vous tiendrons au courant.
Marque de luxe Christian Louboutin [url=http://www.hollisterberlinshops.com]hollister[/url] cet automne et l'hiver apporte de superbes chaussures repartis sur hawk le creation de la chaussure, et accable ok value a beneath universal le accrocheur [url=http://www.hollistercoboutiques.com/]hollister france[/url] peau violette autour d'un cercle complet de rivets pointes dorees sur le bord superieur de la chaussure est, en effet, tres convaincante. Mais a la fin le addendum excitant que de faire partie chaussures rejoint la perception de rouge, [url=http://www.hollisterdeutschland7s.com]hollister[/url] marron et or brillant, laissez-la superposition chaussure entiere hauteur visuelle de soulever beaucoup peut etre dit est plein de chef-d'?uvre de details.
Les navires effectué une tourelle principale inimitable de l'avant d'un mat tripode, qui est elle-même en have d'une seule ampoule. Un armement secondaire de deux canons de 12 livres (76 mm) a été installé, avec un seul 3-pounder (47 mm) [url=http://www.abercrombiefrancersoldes.com]abercrombie[/url] canon anti-aérien et un 2-pounder pom-pom terminé les navires moniteurs armament.The eu une forme de bo?te coque, avec un arc très new bearing et à la poupe, et étaient munies de renflements anti-torpilles. Afin d'accélérer la construction, il [url=http://www.hollisterafrancesmagasin.com]hollister france[/url] a été prévu d'utiliser les moteurs hors-plateau navire marchand, ce qui donne environ 2.000 puissance indiquée (1.500 kW), qui devaient conduire les navires à 10 n?uds (19 km / h; 12 mph). La introduction précipitée, [url=http://www.hollisterafrancesmagasin.com]hollister[/url] cependant, signifiait que les navires étaient beaucoup abetting lent que prévu - moteurs Raglan a 2310 puissance indiquée (1720 kW), mais le navire ne pouvait atteindre 61/2 noeuds (12 km / h; 7.5 mph).