Monday, January 21, 2008

But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends...

The nomad's gleeful grin is once more affixed to my countenance. This is the result of many factors, mostly to do with being young and mad and free and very much alive -- but more practically: I just spent three hours sitting in the sun.

Californian readers will find this statement amusing, because in California that's really all there is to do. And even if one attempts to do something else, it normally leads to sitting in the sun while doing whatever the other thing happens to be. In fact, we've all gotten so sick of sitting around in the sun that we've commissioned our elected representative to lobby for the development of the Personal Climate System (Hereafter referred to as P.C.S.) -- a device which will allow members of the public to carry their own miserable 2-foot-square patch of British weather at all times. The P.C.S. will lead to an increase in Seasonal Affective Disorder and, logically, pessimism among the Southern Californian populace, leading, in turn, to a mass exodus from Los Angeles as people realize that "Yes, it actually is that horrible."

About time, too.

I think what I'm trying to get at is this: the ground-breaking nature of my statement hinges on living somewhere where they actually have seasons. Like, say, Europe. Luckily, that's where I happen to be, and so for me, it's a rather exciting position to be in. It has less to do with the amount of pigment in my skin and more to do with the feeling of glowing from the inside out and exuding a faint aroma of synthesis as my body turns ultraviolet into Vitamin D. Tasty.

So, news.

Or rather, a lack thereof. Truthfully, updating with frequency means I have to actually write about things that don't have to do with moving from Point A to Point B by amusing and circuitous means. This is hard for me.

Luckily, the other thing frequent internet access allows for is procrastination.

That's right. That's my trump card. And I'm playing it with gusto.

No comments: