Sunday, January 27, 2008

Common Sense

(Is apparently something I don't have.)

Case in point: After a decidedly unusual and rather robust evening -- which will most likely be documented in full at a later date -- I found myself in need of washing the compounded odor of several hundred strangers-worth of cigarette smoke out of my personal belongings. So into the wash went everything I'd been wearing, and out it came an hour or so later. Like y'do.

Generally, with me and washing clothes, there is little allowance for delicate fabrics, especially because, in my current mode of existence, washing machines are sometimes few and far between and I simply cannot go spending an extra hour getting my silk socks (Damnit, they'll just have to be wrinkly) pressed at the dry cleaners. However, I was given -- nay! Sent a really gorgeous scarf for Christmas by my parents. Of course, I hadn't bothered to check and see that it was 100% Merino handwoven in India -- I just thought it was colourful and lovely and that it would look nice with my outfit.

I'm sure you can guess what happened next. Among my sundry, hardy cottons I found something rather like a shrunken, sunset-coloured hairball, which -- once I'd actually realized that it had once been my scarf -- I covered in bitter tears of frustration and disappointment.

Which, of course, only made it shrink more.

Basically, I've come to the stark conclusion that I've grown into a label-ignoring, washing procedure ignorant troglodyte -- and am now, only logically, reaping the idiocy I have sown.

No comments: