Sunday, April 27, 2008

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics

For the past two days, I've spent a great of time working public tours aboard the Lady Washington. Following six months on land, I'd forgotten just how many absurd questions we get asked on a daily basis.

Today's doozy came from a young man of about 14. Facing the steps to the ramp by which he had boarded the vessel not 10 minutes prior to the exchange, he gazed at me with eyes full of a infinite, unspeakable woe and asked "But how do I get off?"

Conversely, there are also a fair amount of delightful quotes from the children who come aboard for our educational sails. Some are heartwarming, others simply hilarious -- like this one from last week's group of 3rd grade students. A crew member teaching about the life of an Officer in the 1700's received the following answers when asking "Okay, guys, think about it this way. Who enforces the law today?"

"Uhh..."
"The President!"
"My mom!"
"Our teacher!"
"You guys!"

And, finally:

"The Mafia!"

I'm sure you can figure out which one was correct.

No comments: